How to collect SFB client logs
Mainly there are 2 types of logs available from the SFB desktop client:
- .UccApilog files contain general client usage information
- .etl files contain media-specific log information
For any issues related to Audio/Video issues we have then .etl logs will be helpful (.etl logs can not be decrypt, you have to open support incident with Microsoft in order to get the logs analyzed)
For issues not related to Audio/Video, the .UccApilog files should be sufficient.
- Verify the following option is enabled on SFB client, in SfB client >> Tools >> Options >> General >> Also collect troubleshooting info using Windows Event logging
- Once you enable the logging post that please do exit out from the SFB client ( no need to sign out )
- After that we need to delete the SFB client cache from below location à please delete both sip and tracing folder à close the moment for outlook if you are failing to delete sip and tracing folder.
For Lync >> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\
For SfB >> For SfB C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\
- Post that sign-in into the client ( deleted sip and tracing folder will be created automatically) and reproduce the issue, once the issue is reproduced post that again exit out from the client so that un-necessary logs won’t be generated at all.
- Finally we will get uccapi logs at this location: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\
- Please install snooper tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47263) to analyze the SFB client logs which ideally looks like as below
- You can use this command to set-csclientpolicy -EnableEventLogging $true to enable logging for all SFB clients https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/set-csclientpolicy?view=skype-ps
Conclusion: Post reading this blog you will be able to capture and analyze the SFB client logs
Note: For SFB web client logsà add ?sl=1&log=full to the impacted meeting url then logs will generate at location: C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkypeForBusinessPlugin\Tracing