Microsoft Teams is a powerful collaboration tool that has been widely adopted by businesses and organizations. One of its key features is the ability to make and receive calls, which can be managed through the Microsoft Teams Admin Center. In this article, we will show you step by step how to create a dial plan in Microsoft Teams Admin Center.
What is a dial plan in Microsoft Teams?
A dial plan in Microsoft Teams is a set of rules that determine how calls are handled and routed within your organization. It includes information such as the country or region where the call originates, the phone number of the caller, and the type of call being made. The dial plan also specifies the routes that the call will take, such as the gateways, trunks, and phone numbers that will be used.
Why do you need a dial plan in Microsoft Teams?
A dial plan is a crucial component of your Microsoft Teams setup, as it helps ensure that calls are handled efficiently and effectively. It also allows you to customize your call routing to meet the specific needs of your organization. With a dial plan in place, you can:
- Control the flow of calls within your organization.
- Ensure that calls are routed to the correct location, regardless of where the caller is located.
- Ensure that calls are routed over the most cost-effective path.
- Manage call quality by selecting the appropriate gateways and trunks.
Steps to create a dial plan in Microsoft Teams Admin Center
Here are the steps to create a dial plan in Microsoft Teams Admin Center:
- Sign in to the Microsoft Teams Admin Center.
- In the left navigation, click on Voice > Dial plans.
- Click on the “New dial plan” button.
- Enter a name for your dial plan and select the country or region where the dial plan will be used.
- Choose the type of dial plan you want to create: “Domestic and International” or “Domestic only”.
- Define the call routes for your dial plan, including the gateways and trunks that will be used.
- Specify the phone numbers that will be used for inbound and outbound calls.
- Configure any additional settings, such as emergency services, call forwarding, and call transfer.
- Click “Save” to create your dial plan.
Best practices for creating a dial plan in Microsoft Teams
To ensure that your dial plan is effective and efficient, follow these best practices:
- Start by defining the goals and requirements for your dial plan, including the types of calls that will be made, the regions where calls will originate and be received, and the call routing rules that will be used.
- Ensure that your dial plan is scalable and flexible, so that it can accommodate changes as your organization grows and evolves.
- Test your dial plan thoroughly to ensure that it works as expected and that calls are being handled and routed correctly.
- Review and update your dial plan on a regular basis to ensure that it remains relevant and effective.
Creating a dial plan in Microsoft Teams Admin Center is a straightforward process that can greatly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of your calls. By following the steps and best practices outlined in this article, you can ensure that your dial plan is set up correctly and meets the specific needs of your organization.