As businesses shift to remote work and collaboration, Microsoft Teams has become a crucial tool for communication and collaboration. One important aspect of Teams usage is the ability for administrators to deploy and manage user phones. This article will provide a step-by-step guide on how to deploy user phones using the Teams Admin Center.
Understanding Teams Phone System
The Teams Phone System is a cloud-based PBX (private branch exchange) that replaces traditional on-premises PBX systems. It allows users to make and receive calls within Teams, and provides advanced calling features such as call forwarding, call hold, and call transfer. The Teams Phone System can be used with a wide range of devices, including desk phones, conference phones, and personal devices.
Prerequisites for Deploying User Phones
Before deploying user phones, there are a few prerequisites that need to be met. These include:
- Having an Office 365 Enterprise E5 or Teams license.
- Having an on-premises PSTN (public switched telephone network) connection or a Direct Routing solution.
- Having the necessary infrastructure in place to support Teams phone calls, including a VPN, firewall, and network configuration.
Step-by-Step Guide for Deploying User Phones
The following is a step-by-step guide on how to deploy user phones using the Teams Admin Center:
- Sign in to the Teams Admin Center.
- In the left navigation panel, select Devices, and then select Phones.
- Click Add phone.
- Enter the phone information, including the phone model, manufacturer, and MAC address.
- Assign the phone to a user.
- Click Save.
- Repeat the process for each phone you want to deploy.
Assigning a Phone to a User
Once you have added a phone, the next step is to assign it to a user. To do this:
- In the Teams Admin Center, select Devices, and then select Phones.
- Locate the phone you want to assign to a user.
- Click the Edit icon (pencil).
- Select the user you want to assign the phone to.
- Click Save.
Troubleshooting Deployment Issues
There may be times when deploying user phones using the Teams Admin Center is not successful. Common issues include:
- Incorrect phone information, such as incorrect MAC addresses.
- Inadequate network infrastructure.
- Firewall and VPN issues.
To troubleshoot deployment issues, you can use the Teams admin audit log to view activity related to phone deployment. The audit log provides information on the user who performed the action, the action performed, and the time of the action.
Deploying user phones using the Teams Admin Center is a straightforward process that allows administrators to manage and deploy user phones within Teams. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that your users are able to make and receive calls using Teams and take advantage of its advanced calling features.
What is Teams Phone System?
Teams Phone System is a cloud-based PBX (private branch exchange) that replaces traditional on-premises PBX systems and allows users to make and receive calls within Teams.
What are the prerequisites for deploying user phones in Teams?
The prerequisites for deploying user phones in Teams include having an Office 365 Enterprise E5 or Teams license, an on-premises PSTN